The storm season is upon us in Brisbane and the Gold Coast. It’s important to be prepared before the first severe weather event hits. A damaged roof can can sometimes be hard to pinpoint, which is when you call the experts in. Even the smallest crack or structural weakness can become a much larger problem when a storm occurs.
How to get storm ready – pre-storm checklist for your property:
- Gutters need to be cleared to avoid water build up and overflow that can cause damage to your roof and home.
- Have RTL Plumbing carry out roof inspections to check for any weak spots such as a broken tile or cracked area around a skylight.
- Roofs should be promptly repaired, ahead of the storm season where possible.
- Check downpipes are cleared and flowing freely.
- Check stormwater drains are cleared and flowing freely.
Let RTL Plumbing help you get ‘Storm Ready’ by undertaking a comprehensive roof inspection, gutter and downpipe clean. RTL Plumbing provide a full written condition report including photos and will promptly advise on any potential issues we find.
How often should I have my gutters and drains cleaned?
You should have your gutters and drains cleaned out yearly, preferably before storm season in October to January. Whilst RTL Plumbing are cleaning the gutters, we take a look to see if any immidiate damage can be repaired. If there are major works to be carried out, we’ll send over a quote.
Won’t the storm and rain clear my gutters and drains?
The debris that collects in your gutters are rarely flushed out by rainfall. We’ve seen instances of small trees which have grown in guttering and downpipes from a seedpod! Once your gutters are blocked, rainwater may overflow or backflow into the ceiling area. Improper roof and gutter maintenance will speed up the process of deterioration, so it’s important to get issues fixed promptly. RTL Plumbing have the equipment, training and experience to ensure that your gutters are cleaned quickly, safely and professionally.
Post-storm checklist – get your home checked before the next major storm hits, before it’s too late!
Have you noticed one or more of the following?
- Stains, watermarks or discolouration on your ceiling
- Ceiling is sagging
- Water running down an internal wall
- Guttering overflowing when it rains
- Blocked drains in your garden, causing water to pool in your garden or yard
- Water leaking through skylights
While a small leak may not seem like a big deal, it could indicate a much larger problem. Talk to RTL Plumbing about how our roof and gutter inspections can assist in determining the source of the leak.
Your roof is the biggest protector of your home, so if you suspect a leak or haven’t had your gutters cleaned recently, call RTL Plumbing on 1300 000 RTL (785)